I’ve always wanted to experiment with patinas on copper and other metals and finally this weekend I set aside some time to play! I didn’t have access to any oxy acetylene or similar torch setups (as seems to be preferred), but I was still able to get some really interesting and satisfying results using table salt, an ammonia bath and MAP gas.
There were two basic methods that I ended up going with. The first was done completely cold and used an ammonia bath as seen below. The second used heat, and was achieved by applying salt to the copper’s surface and heating the work from below with MAP gas.